Thanks for this wonderful website and the lawyers. I have a few questions:
1. My sister got married in 2001 and subsequently in 2007 the couple filed for divorce on mutual consent and got the divorce decree in June 2008 from the High Court.
2. But before getting the divorce decree, my sister married her colleague (a bachelor aged around 40 ) in Jan 2008 at a simple marriage ceremony in a temple attended by close family.
3. Further, the newly-wed couple got their marriage registered at sub-registrar’s office in Nov 2013 by stating that both were married for the first time stating my sister to be a ‘spinster’ .
1. Is my sister’s second marriage legal as she got re-married even before getting the divorce paper in hand?
2. Is there some kind of a waiting / cooling period that my sister should have waited / followed before getting re-married?
3. In the sub-registrar’s office, she stated her status as a ‘spinster’ and not a ‘divorcee’ – did she do anything wrong here?
4. Will any marriage certificate state that a person is married for the first time or second time etc., etc.,